There are two categories of questions in the Speaking Section:
- Independent (Tasks 1 — 2)
- Integrated (Tasks 3 — 6)
TOEFL Speaking Independent Tasks
Independent Tasks 1 & 2:
- You’ll be asked a general question about your life or your opinion on a topic.
- You’ll have a short period of time to take notes and gather your thoughts.
- You’ll respond into the microphone.
- Tip: Your answers and opinions don’t have to be true! No one is going to fact-check your response, so go ahead and be creative if it saves you time and angst.
TOEFL Speaking Integrated Tasks
The “integrated” topics integrate reading and/or listening with speaking. That also means that integrated speaking topics are as varied as listening and reading topics, and answering them well mostly depends on how well you can understand academic context.
Integrated Tasks 3 & 4:
- You’ll be asked to read a short text and listen to a recording on the same topic.
- In Task 3, you’ll listen to a recording of students discussing their opinions on the reading.
- In Task 4, you’ll listen to a professor’s lecture on the topic of the text.
- You’ll then be given a short period of time to prepare your response.
- You’ll explain what you read and heard.
- Tip: Use your 30 seconds of prep time to identify key information. Don’t try to include every single detail in your response! You’ll run out of time.
TOEFL Integrated Speaking Task 3 Sample
TOEFL Integrated Speaking Task 4 Sample
Integrated Tasks 5 & 6:
- You’ll listen to a recording, but this time there will be no accompanying text for you to read.
- Task 5: You’ll listen to a recording by a student.
- Task 6: You’ll listen to a lecture by a professor.
- You’ll be given 20 seconds to prepare your response.
- You’ll be given 60 seconds to answer a question about the recording.
- Tip: The question in Task 5 is difficult to answer in only 60 seconds. Use an outline to structure your response:
- 10-15 seconds: Explain the student’s problem.
- 20-30 seconds: Provide two solutions to the problem (these solutions will be suggested in the recording).
- 15-10 seconds: Explain which solution you prefer and why.
TOEFL Integrated Speaking Task 5 Sample