IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics June August 2018
Below is a list of Cue Cards that the examiner may give you in part 2 section of the IELTS speaking test.
These Cue Cards are not a guarantee, they are just for helping students prepare for the IELTS test.
In addition, don’t forget to check Recent IELTS Speaking questions (2018)
1. A comic actor who is popular in your country
- Who is he/she
- What type of person he/she is
- How you came to know about him/her
- Why he/she is popular
- I know of many comedians who entertain people but here I would like to talk about my favourite comedian who is …
- … is very famous nowadays because of his/her TV show …
- … is in his/her early thirties and looks very handsome/beautiful.
- … basically hails from …
- … is a multi-talented personality and can also sing very well.
- … has hosted many shows but he/she was appreciated the most for hosting …
- … is basically a stand-up comedian but can also do some slap-stick comedy.
- Do your family members and friends like this actor?
- Why are film personalities famous?
- Do you think youngsters try to Copy film stars?
- What are benefits and drawbacks of it?
- Are famous personalities rich in your country?
- How do they spend their money?
- Do you think they spend money wisely?
- Why do children love to visit circus?
- Do people get chance to meet famous personalities in your country?
2. A childhood friend
- Who is he/she?
- How did you meet?
- What did you do together?
- Childhood has its speciality and magic and sometimes childhood friends are unforgettable.
- I have made many friends in my life and a few are very close friends.
- Here I would like to talk about my soulmate, whom I have known for roughly … years.
- His/her name is …
- We did a lot of interesting and fun stuff together.
- We chatted for a long time, revived nostalgic memories of our school days.
- We will try our best to maintain this relationship.
- Use IELTS Vocabulary to describe people
- Why is childhood important for us?
- What changes have you gone through from your childhood?
- What are the differences between childhood friends and college friends?
- What kind of influence can friends have on our lives?
3. A competition you would like to participate in
- What kind of competition is it?
- What would you do in this competition?
- Why does this competition interest you?
- When I was at school, I participated in many competitions.
- Here, I would like to talk about a competition, I would like to take part in.
- It is a … competition.
- Individuals can participate, and even schools can send their students.
- I would love to compete in … competition and try to do my best and win a prize.
- Thebrushes and paints have to be carried with you, but the at sheets are provided there only.
- I am waiting for the … this year, so that I can participate and try my luck at winning a prize.
- What kinds of people are competitive?
- What kind of activities/competitions people like to take part in?
- Why do you think some school teachers use competitions as class activities?
- Do you think that it is possible to become too competitive in sport? In what way?
4. Describe a maths skill learnt in primary school
- What was it?
- How did you learn it?
- Do you find it useful and how is it useful?
- Explain how it will be beneficial for you in future?
- I learnt many math skills in my elementary school – such as counting, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- I was good at all of them
- In fact math was my favourite subject in primary school
- Here I would like to talk about counting.
- Our teacher used to teach us this skill by making dots or dashes and asking us to count them.
- Sometimes we were shown pictures of objects and we had to count them.
- Counting is very useful in our day to day life.
- Knowingly or unknowingly we use this skill for measurements and buying and selling.
- We need to do counting while using money and other things.
- Even housewives use this skill while working in the kitchen.
- They have to count the ingredients used in making various dishes and also need to do counting for measuring things.
- Counting is the base of all other math skills like addition, subtraction and multiplication.
- In the future also counting will definitely be needed in each and every field.
- Everybody needs to count in his daily life at some time or the other.
- It is because of this skill that today I am successful
- How do you think calculators are helping in maths?
- Do you think computers will make it less important for people to learn math?
- Do you think computers are going to be more intelligent than humans?
5. Someone who likes to talk a lot
- Who is he/she
- How do you know him/her
- Do you like him/her
- I know many people who are very talkative but here I am going to talk about …, who is the most talkative person known to me.
- … is such a chatterbox that when he/she is around, you don’t need any TV or radio for entertainment.
- … mostly talk on social matters.
- … can go on and on and sometimes I wonder from where he/she gets all the energy to speak so much.
- … has a great sense of humour and can lighten up any tense situation.
- No one can feel bored in his/her company.
- … is an extrovert and can make friends very soon
- Sometimes his/her talkative nature has put her in a lot of trouble.
- Many times the teachers have punished him/her in class for talking a lot.
- I love this cute chatterbox and when he/she is quiet, I feel something is wrong and I don’t like it.
- Let’s talk about communication in society. Do you think communication is important?
- Why do you think so?
- In what situations is it helpful to be communicative?
- Should parents teach their children to communicate properly?
- How can we improve our communication skills?
6. A time you used public transport
- When was it?
- Where did you go?
- Who was with you and what did you do?
- due in/ on/ at = expected to arrive
- a nice, peaceful trip
- a reserved seat number
- an available seat
- In our day-to-day life we visit many places for various purposes
- Sometimes we use our own vehicle and sometimes we use public transport
- Normally when I have to go somewhere near then I use car but for distant places I use public transport
- Here I am going to talk about a visit for which I used public transport.
- This time we used bus for going to …
- There is a tour operator company near my hometown known as Express Travels
- My father booked this tour through travel agency.
- It was vacation time and so children were also there with their parents.
- We boarded the bus at … am.
- On the way we enjoyed a lot.
- I made many friends and we played cards.
- The bus made three halts on the way and we straightened our legs and had refreshments at those stops.
- We reached … at 7 pm.
7. A street market
- Where is it?
- What can you buy there?
- How do you feel about it?
- I believe shopping is a great pastime and people shop at different places like malls and roadside or street markets
- Rich people nowadays prefer to shop in the malls whereas youngsters and economically weaker people shop from markets nearby their home or the street markets
- Today, I would like to talk about a street market which is near my hometown and all kinds of things can be bought here.
- This market is usually open on weekends
- It is located in our city centre
- Most of the street hawkers and vendors come to sell their products here.
- One can buy anything from clothes, books, utensils, mobile screen guards and everyday use items from this market.
- There are also a lot of street vendors who sell toys for children.
- Sometimes one can see few street artists as well who perform stunts in the market.
- There are also a lot of food vendors in this market and one can eat a variety of snacks like … etc
- The street food available in this market is really delicious
- This market is very popular amongst youngsters as they get the latest in fashion at very nominal rates.
- Most of the items available at this market are of inferior quality but due to their low price people prefer to buy them.
- I recently bought a …. there.
- So I was very happy with the purchase.
- I like to go to this market with my friends
- Next time I will buy some … from this market.
- Do you like shopping online or going out for shopping?
- What is the difference between shopping with friends and shopping alone?
- What are the disadvantages of shopping in a big mall?
- Why do people like to buy branded products?
- In your opinion are big discounts real or just an advertisement?
8. Your favourite TV programme/series
- What programme/series is it?
- Who are the characters?
- What do you like/dislike about it?
- I watch TV for the news and some reality shows but one TV series I really liked was …
- This was a talk show directed and produced by …
- I used to watch it with all my family members
- I watched it because it was a wonderful show, which enlightened me a lot.
- All the episodes were very heart-touching.
- The purpose of telecasting this programme/series is to educate the people that
- … is the key character of this serial
- By watching this programme, people can…
- Do young people like to watch TV nowadays?
- What kinds of TV programs do young people like to watch?
- Do you think TV will be replaced by computers?
- What do you think of TV advertisements?
- What TV programs are popular in your country?
- What kinds of TV programs are most popular in your country?
- Why do people all around the world watch soap operas?
- What is the difference in the programmes, which young people like to watch and the elderly like to watch?
- Why don’t young people don’t like educational shows?
9. A magazine you like
- Which magazine is it?
- Where do you read it?
- What was the magazine about?
- I don’t actually read magazines much nowadays.
- I generally get my information from the Internet.
- But one magazine I do read is …
- I found out about this because of my … They’ve been subscribers to it for quite some time now.
- I’m not exactly certain where you can buy it.
- I imagine that you can get it from local newsagents and other shops that sell newspapers and magazines.
- I decided to subscribe to it because it saves me time!
- It contains the best and most interesting articles from several different newspapers and is neatly divided into different topics.
- I don’t have to spend time any more browsing different sites on the net.
- There are lots of reasons why I think it’s interesting, but what I like most is that you find articles written from different viewpoints. You never know quite what to expect. That’s slightly unusual in a magazine.
- What do you think are the important qualities for a news reporter?
- What’s the main difference between newspaper and magazine?
- What’s the function of a report to the society?
- What kinds of books/newspapers/magazines do adolescents read in your country?
- With the popularity of Internet, do you think newspapers and magazines will disappear?
10. A season you enjoy
- What kind of weather is it?
- When does this weather usually occur?
- What do you usually do during this weather?
- Explain how this weather affects you
- Weather is a short term atmospheric condition, so it keeps changing every now and then.
- The weather I am going to talk about here is the pleasant weather we have during the spring, that is March and beginning of April.
- The flowers are in full bloom everywhere, and you can hear the happy chirping of the birds.
- Spring season gives you a reason to smile, it infuses colour in your life.
- The spring season is important for farmers, crops ripen in the fields.
- This is a very welcome weather because it brings great relief from the intense cold of winters.
- People tend to be in a good mood during this time of year because it has a pleasant climate, with mild weather.
- In the springtime, I do many things that are impossible in winter and uncomfortable in summer.
- Days and nights are neither too long nor too short.
- I hate the cold wind of winter and I do not like the hot sun of summer.
- I dislike mud and dirt caused by the rains.
- So spring is my favorite season, and its weather is my favourite weather.
- My teeth are chattering. (very cold)
- I’m drenched. (very wet)
- I’m sweating like crazy. (very hot)
- I’m soaked right through. (very wet)
- I’m frozen to the bone. (very cold)
- Do you often pay attention to the weather forecast? (Why?/Why not?)
- How does the weather (or, the weather forecast) affect what activities people do?
- Why do some people dislike some kinds of weather?
- Does the weather have an effect on the economy?
11. A website you regularly use, which helped you
- Which site is it?
- How did you know about it?
- How it helped
- I surf the Internet very often, in fact daily.
- There are many websites which help us to do many things.
- Here I would like to talk about a website through which you can find videos to do almost anything
- It is youtube.com
- Whenever I have to do something, which I have not done before, I search a video on this site there are many to choose from
- I have been preparing to pass IELTS with the help of Youtube videos.
- If I like any channel on youtube, I subscribe to it and then get that channel’s updates in my e-mail.
- Recently, I baked a cake by watching a Youtube video.
- It turned out perfect.
- Videos are better than oral or written instructions.
- So this is the website, which has helped me many times to do something.
- Who in your family use the site?
- Can internet help children in their study?
- Will the internet replace the teacher?
- Will downloading music or movies for free cause a problem?
12. An interesting animal in your country
- What is it?
- How do you know about this animal?
- Where are they found?
- What facts about this animal do you find interesting?
- Do you think wild TV animal programs are beneficial?
- Why and how are these beneficial?
- Do you think schools should teach students about animals?
- Do you agree with rare animals being raised in the zoos?
13. A situation when you had to be polite
- Where was it?
- Who was there with you?
- What did you do to be more polite?
- How did you feel about this situation?
- I am normally a very well-behaved person and I don’t lose my temper easily.
- But there are some situations in everyone’s life when it is very easy to be impolite, but still one behaves politely.
- Here, I’m going to speak about a situation when it was very easy to be angry and rude, but I still behaved politely.
- I had to control my temper to be more polite.
- Later on I felt very happy about this situation.
- I was very angry, I wanted to speak some harsh words to her.
- But I had read somewhere that if you are really very angry then you should clench your fist and count 10.
- By the time I had counted 10 my anger vanished.
- Anger and rudeness lead to nothing.
- So, this was the situation when I behaved politely.
- Are people in your country becoming politer or not?
- In what ways do people in your country show politeness?
- What are the uncivilized manners on public transport?
- What would you do when this happens?
- Should people show politeness to friends?
14. A river or lake in your country
- Which water body is that?
- How do you know about it?
- Why does it impress you so much?
- My country is really diverse.
- There are many rivers, lakes, beaches in my country.
- One important river that I would like to talk about here is the river …
- It has significant influence on the life of people.
- It is one of the longest rivers of the world and is the longest river in ….
- The River … emerges out of the … and falls into the …
- It has a number of tributaries.
- The … is a perennial river as water is available throughout the year.
- The river has formed one of the most fertile flood plains of the world.
- We get the golden crops from the fertile lands on the bank of River …
- The water of River … is widely used for agriculture purpose.
- It is navigable.
- Do people like that river in your country?
- Do you like any activities in water?
- Is it necessary for everyone to learn swimming?
- Do people in your country go to swim in their free time?
15. A way you use to concentrate in your work or studies
- what is it?
- why one needs it?
- how is it beneficial for someone?
- Life has become very fast and it looks as if there is too much to do and too little time.
- The life of every person is full of the struggle. every person wants to gain success in a short way.
- So, concentrating on one thing and doing it nicely has become a big problem.
- I have tried many things to help me concentrate.
- Sometimes, I take a power nap and sometimes I do yoga.
- Here I would like to talk about a method which I tried doing to improve my concentration, and it has worked wonders for me.
- I go out and do some brisk walking in a park opposite my house, then I do yoga.
- I sweat out my worries and stress and feel very light after that.
- Yoga is an important source to get relaxation from all kinds of worries and tensions.
- It is very beneficial for people because it gives fresh air to mind, removes out waste toxins from the body, gives strength to heart, gives relief to muscles, strengthens the immune system, gives relief from acidity.
- I have noticed that whatever I do after that, I can do with full concentration.
- Brisk walking is a form of aerobic exercise, which releases endorphins in your body, which make you feel good and you can concentrate better with a happy mind.
- When I do yoga, even then my concentration improves, but brisk walking helps me shed some pounds from my body.
- When I have to study long hours, such as during exams, I go up on my terrace and take a few rounds.
- Then I can study with full concentration again.
- Walking is also good as we are all leading sedentary lifestyles.
- It provides the much needed exercise also
- So, walking is something, which helps me concentrate.
- What times in your life do you need to concentrate on doing something?
- Does your job require concentrating and attention to detail?
- Is it difficult/easy to concentrate? (Why?)
- What affects you ability to concentrate?
- What type of environment do you need to work peacefully?
- Do you (ever) do anything to help you concentrate?
- Do you think people can do two things at the same time?
16. Clothes you wear on a special occasion
- What is the piece of clothes like?
- Who gave it to you?
- Explain how you feel about it
- Everyone loves fashion nowadays. Even I also like to try new outfits everyday and especially on the special occasions
- I have got a huge collection of different dresses and suits in my cupboard.
- Here, I would like to talk about a traditional suit.
- For the majority of these special occasions, I like to wear formal pants, shirts, suits and formal shoes.
- When I wear that suit everyone compliments me
- I feel very good when I receive those compliments.
For more patterns and vocabulary on this topic use IELTS Vocabulary to describe Clothes and Fashion
- What kinds of clothes do people wear after work?
- What kind of clothes should people wear at work?
- Do you think students need to wear school uniforms?
- Where do Indian people buy clothes?
17. A sportsperson you admire
- Who is the person?
- What is his/her achievement?
- Why do you admire him?
- I think, sport plays an integral part in our lives and every person has a sportsperson in their life whom they admire either secretly or openly.
- Today I would like to talk about a sportsperson who has been a constant source of inspiration to me and the millions of other people in our country.
- … is ranked as one of the world’s most famous athlete.
- One of his greatest achievements was …
- She/He was a great influence on me and is someone I still admire and look up to.
- Why do I look up to her/him so much? Well, if I was a … I’d want to be just like her/him – someone who is able to make other people want to learn.
- Use IELTS vocabulary for describing Sport
- Do teenagers like exercising in your country?
- Do you think physical education is necessary? Why?
- How do you think physical education classes affect children’s development?
- What kind of exercises do people like in your country?
- How old should the person be to become a leader?
- Why do you think it is necessary to have influencers?
- What are the pros and cons of being a leader?
18. A method you used to save money
- What did you save for?
- How did you save money?
- How long did you save money?
- Normally, I depend on my parents for all my needs.
- However, when I want to buy something big, I save money for that.
- Here I would like to talk about a product that I bought after saving my pocket money for one whole year.
- I was fascinated by the looks and features of the …, so I decided not to waste money in order to have it.
- When I heard the price I realised that the grapes were sour.
- So, I started saving money for the phone.
- It was difficult to stay away from chocolates and fast foods but I did it.
- By the time I had enough money…
- I’m extremely happy not only because I possess it now, but because I bought it myself.
- What do young people in your country like to buy?
- Which do you think is more important, the cost of a product or the quality of it?
- Why are imported products more expensive than locally made ones?
- What do you think of those people who only buy expensive things and look down on other people who buy cheap products?
- Which do you think is better, buying things online or buying things in real shops?
- Why do you think online shopping has become so popular?
- How do people pay for things they buy online?
- What can parents do to teach children to save money?
- Why do young people tend to waste money?
19. A nice photo of you
- When was the photo taken?
- Where was the photo taken?
- Who took the photograph?
- How did you feel about it?
- Nowadays, almost everyone has become a photographer because the smartphones of today have made it possible.
- I click many selfies with my phone, however, I become very conscious in front of the camera and the photographs usually don’t look natural.
- Here, I would like to talk about a time when a professional photographer took a photograph of me, which has come out very nice.
- Later on, I asked the photographer to give us all the photos and videos he had captured in our external drive, so that we could see them and pick out the best ones.
- The photographer was very reluctant to give all the coverage to us, but we insisted and he had to give in.
- All my photographs on the dance floor were good, but one was exceptionally good.
- Whenever, I see this picture, the memories of the whole event come in front of my eyes.
- Do you like when others take pictures of you?
- Is it good to take a lot of photographs?
- Do people like digital photographs or printed photographs?
- How will this affect the photographers and their working style?
- Will photographs replace paintings in the future?
- Would you like taking photos with strangers?
- What king of photograph would you like to hang in your bedroom?
20. A quiet place you know
- where is it?
- when did you go there?
- why did you like the place?
- what did you do the last time you went there?
- Waking up to a daily nine to five job and dealing with all kinds of irksome issues everyday will surely drive you insane someday unless having a healthy way to relieve stress and boredom.
- Fortunately, I have my own cure – a park just 10 min walk away from my dwelling.
- I often go there to spend some leisure hours.
- I like to go there for relaxation and I prefer the evening hours.
- The vastness of the park helps people to submerge into silence.
- A tranquil place like this park is the right one for me.
- The sandy trails are awesome for hiking.
- A large number of trees are available in the park and anyone can take shelter under the tree shades with nice sitting arrangements.
- Besides, the park contains some other amenities like clean and well-managed toilets, and the space for kids.
- Are there many quiet places in your city?
- Why do people sometimes prefer to be alone?
- Is there much noise around your home?
- Does this noise affect you in any way?
- How do you think noise in cities could be reduced?
MORE CUE CARDS AND PATTERNS ARE COMING SOON, PLEASE FOLLOW THIS PAGE
A recent event that made you happy
A job you would like to do
A city or country where you would like to live or work in the future
A sport you have seen on TV and would like to try
An event in your life that you recently celebrated
Something you lost
A skill you learned outside school or college
A subject you studied at school
Something you would like to do that your friend has done
A toy you liked when you were a child
An unusual meal
An item you own that needs to be replaced
A time you worked in a team
A plan you made but changed later
An occasion when visitors came to your home
A favourite place in your town or city
A time you taught someone something
Your favourite historical period
An activity you do with older people
A good service you received from a company
A popular person you know
A song you like
A party you recently went to
A building you like
A technology you like using (not computers)
A time you changed your mind
Your first mobile phone
Your ideal holiday
A story you know
An outing that didn’t cost much money
Someone you met recently and would like to meet again