Accounting Interview Questions
Accounting interview questions are generally a mix of questions about accounting issues and your own accounting skills, plus some basic, behavioral questions regarding soft skills, character, and work habits.
While you should never try to present a false front during a job interview, you can increase your chances of interviewing well and getting hired by practicing with some typical questions.
Prepare answers to these common accounting interview questions, and give yourself a leg up on the competition:
- What do you consider to be the biggest challenge facing the accounting profession today?
- Describe any accounting process that you have developed or sought to improve.
- Describe a time when you helped to reduce costs at a previous accountant job.
- Describe a time when you had to use numerical data or a graph to convince a manager.
- Describe a time when you had to work exceptionally hard to provide great service to a customer or client. What did you do and what was the outcome?
- Describe a time when you had to explain a complex accounting issue to someone with without an accounting background. How did you help your audience understand the situation?
- Describe a time when you faced a particularly demanding deadline to prepare a financial statement or report. How did you react? What was the result?
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of different accounting packages you have used in your most recent accountant jobs.
- Which accounting applications are you familiar with?
- How do you ensure that you do not forget details and ensure accuracy when you prepare monthly journal entries, record transactions, etc.?
- If you were CFO of our company, what would keep you up at night?